Thursday, 28 April 2016

University Advice

 
I've been through the process of university application twice now. I've also had the experience of going to university. I originally started in September 2015 and I was there for just over a month. Unfortunately I really was just not happy there and the course I had chosen just didn't feel right. In the end I made the hard decision to drop out. I've been working part-time since then along side blogging and I've decided to return to university in September 2016. This time I'll be studying a degree in Fine Art. Whereas before I was studying Interior Design; which all seemed too much architecture to me.

I thought I'd offer some advice that I wish I'd been given before I went to university. I think this is advice that maybe teachers, lecturers etc. tend to skip.

- Check out all aspects of the course before you go. This is one of the most important things to do. I can't tell you how horrible it is when you hate what subject you're doing and realising you've signed up to do it for three years. Make sure you go through the three years of the course with the course leader at your chosen university. They will be able to tell you roughly what you'll be studying when etc. Also talk to previous or current students studying that course too! The course isn't always how they make it out in the prospectus. By talking to previous students you can ask them there experience. They tend not to sugar coat over the important parts that university staff might.

- Always consider the location of your university. You have to remember this is more than likely where you're going to be living for the next three years. Make sure that it's a nice area with local shops available. Check out the accommodation available also. If you have specific needs like your own bathroom etc. it's important that the accommodation can cater to your needs.

- Don't be put off by commuting! There's a lot of speculation that if you commute and live with your parents that you don't get the full university experience. This is absolutely not the case and don't let it put you off. It's more than likely you'll make friends that will let you stay on their floor after a night out. Just make sure get involved with as much as possible.

- Don't let friends, family or teachers affect your decisions. This is your life remember! The worst thing you an do is let someone else make a decision for you and then regret it for the rest of your life. For example the course you choose. If it's something that you enjoy then go for it! Remember you're the one studying it and you don't want to be stuck doing something you hate.

- Study a course that you know you'll love. Although I agree with the course being somewhat practical don't let it put you off. If you have no career in mind... honestly it doesn't really matter. More than likely you'll figure that out over the three years you're studying. I think the most common courses people are put off taking is arts courses. Don't let what people say put you off. There are plenty of careers available.

- Don't rush any decisions. Make sure you are absolutely sure about every decision you make. There's nothing wrong with taking a gap year if you feel you need more time. It could give you a chance to work and earn some money for when you go next year. There is always the option of deferring to allow yourself to do that.

- Make sure you go on any open/applicant days. This will give you more of a feel of the university. It will allow to have a really good look round so you can decide if it's somewhere that you would consider studying.

- Don't get disheartened if you don't get the grades that you expect. In all honesty I don't think many people get the grades that they expect. You may do better or worse than you might think. Either way if you change your mind about where you want to go you can always go through clearing. This is available on the day results are released. There will be all the information available on the UCAS website.

I hope some of this advice has helped you to some degree if you're considering university. I know this sort of advice would of helped me! Now I can't wait to get myself back in my own art studio in September.

Let me know if you've got any offers at universities or you're experiences if you've been etc. I hope you enjoyed this post!

Thank you for reading,
Alice -Tilly


SHARE:

1 comment

  1. This post rings so many bells with me! Especially the don't listen to teachers influence if you don't want to! When I left school it was pretty much said that if you didn't go to Uni.. what are you going to do??? I finished Uni last year and I just think it was such a waste of money, I didn't need the degree in the end.

    But you're right, it is a great experience and you will really love it! Where are you studying Fine Art?

    I found your blog through the BDIB chat, its a great read! :)
    www.melberryy.com xx

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig